Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Stardust Sentiments

During Sundays I always hope that radio station of oldies-but-goodies stuff play "Stardust" by the great Nat King Cole. I don't really know why I learned to love the song, probably because I love the movie "Sleepless in Seattle" so much (of which the song is part of its soundtrack), or that maybe I have an old soul (as they say) that old things appeal to me.

I remember the tune was playing on the background when Mang Rudy, an old-timer in the ME shared his memories of the old Saudi Arabia.

He recounted the days when Pinoy workers practically paved the way for major infrastructures in the deserts; how they bore themselves to work to ease loneliness and relieve homesickness. Those days, he said, no Filipino channels, internet, and celfones were in existence. Long distance calls were glorious recitation of memories; to receive a mail was a joy to be had.

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that we're apart

But so much is the love of Pinoys for pageants that in those days holding beauty contests (in secret!) was one of very few sources of entertainment. You may wonder how, since no female counterparts were present, added to the fact that interaction with them was almost equal to a grave sin.

But Mang Rudy has the answer: engineers, architects, laborers, and mechanics who wear safety helmets and gears during the day suddenly transform themselves in a Barbie-clad dresses, painting their nails with fascinating colors and strutting the catwalk in high pointed heels. Just-like in prison, they were made to wear amorous accessories and make-up to complete the total transformation.

But such events were not exclusive for Pinoys, according to Mang Rudy. At times, other nationalities participate by being sponsors; others watch and befriend some of the contestants. And out of such meetings, each one has juicy story to tell. Had those things not been prohibited, organizers promoting repeat shows would have made a glamorous money making business then.

But that was long ago
Now my consolation
Is in the stardust of a song


But with the new breed of migrants in ME, no more similar shows ever had. Well, except this last year when a similar but failed attempt happened in one of the suburbs of Jeddah. Now, adding more pinoy female expats in the ME in the equation, the demand started to shift – but not for genuine female pageant, but rather for a male beauty show clad in skimpy outfits.

One can just wonder if such events were mere manifestations of loneliness, or their performances borne out of an inner feeling. My guess is only good as yours. With Mang Rudy's recall, it indeed opened more questions, than answers. We can only hope that he further his recount of the past. But until then, we leave the memory as they were.

The nightingale tells its fairly tale
A paradise where rose is blue
Though I dream in vain
In my heart it will remain
My stardust melody
The memory of love's refrains.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow data base nice story sayang hindi ko na nakita iyong mga data mo sa pic-link.nag crush ang system nila yesterday.Anyhow san ma post mo din ito sa pic-link.Sa dami yata ng mga nag view sa iyo sa pic-link kay nag crash he,he,he...joke joke lang po.

Jubailpinoy....

Anonymous said...

wow nice entry data base.Alam mo ba na check ko kahapon iyong mga data mo sa pic-link nawala pala lahat.Sayang dami pa naman mga journal mo na kapaki pakinabang.Good luck data base sana ilagay mo din sa pic-link ang entry mo dito sa blog.Mabuhay ka.


Ryan of Jubail

Anonymous said...

Out of tune yata ang pagkakagamit mo sa kantang Stardust in telling Mang Rudy's recall of the past. Anyway, nice entry pa rin. You never fail to give us insights as to the life of our kababayans in ME.

Nevertheless, I personally prefer your little exposes. I anticipate your upcoming entries filled with what you mentioned "juicy" details.

alloy@yahoo.com.ph

Anonymous said...

Well, guys just an information..... an excerpt from the book....... If you know what excerpt means.... Try to check for the meaning, okay folks.

I know it`s boring, really. But the fact is it`s an informative one.... Instead of reading about non-sense topics such as sexperiences, I find this more interesting.

Especially this exceprt is really boring to those who cannot comprehend and cannot follow the norms in cyberspace.

Peace!


Randel of middle east

Anonymous said...

I salute you! Once again you`ve proven your worth as a writer. Your journal is something I can relate to. We do things that we thought would be the best for our love ones but the fact is it`s not really helping at all...... Congrats buddy!


Cindy of Singapore

Anonymous said...

cool dude reeve ei, great THURSDAYS to you! hopes whatever things your having now, you do it with fun and happy minds at all! remember, cool feelings and peaceful hearts brings the BEST! enjoy, and be CAREFUL TOO around,,,

Nod

Anonymous said...

dear datbase, thanks. what you said is precisely what i intended to deliver, therefore, i used that style of writing. i wanted these "blog" gays to tuck their animosities among themselves.

Rey of eastern province

Anonymous said...

Comment by: runaway
Posted on: 07-05-2007 @ 01:23 am

: Mem'ry.
All alone in the moonlight... I can smile at the old days,
Life was beautiful then...
I remember the time I knew what happiness was,
Let the mem'ry live again.:

Anonymous said...

Comment by: jv020790
Posted on: 07-06-2007 @ 11:05 am

huwaw! idol!

Anonymous said...

Comment by: rob7777
Posted on: 07-05-2007 @ 11:18 am

sad that someone like u should end up changing ur mind about staying. nationalism really does not have much to do about staying since nationalism was my reason for leaving. you deserve to feel content and no one can fault you for it. but if we look back and see how far we have come, regardless of who led/lead the country, we may realize that we have many wonderful things going for us beyond financial security alone - creativity, democracy and freedom of speech, a huge opportunity to shine, and the common sense and street smartness of a people who need to be resourceful and innovative out of necessity.

yet, it often takes being able to see the grass on the other side to make us realize that the grass on our side may not be as green because it's shaded from the sun by huge fruit trees. that is why I believe we should all be encouraged to explore outside our country and that's also why I shall be back home as soon as my obligations here are all done.

and I really wish you good luck.

Anonymous said...

Comment by: mikejuha
Posted on: 07-05-2007 @ 11:25 pm

I'm working abroad, but it never crossed my mind to stay on a foreign land for the rest of my life. The Phils is my land, the land of my parents, my grand parents and my great-great grand parents. No matter what, it remains to be so. I should love it. If no one does, then who will

Anonymous said...

Comment by: drando
Posted on: 07-05-2007 @ 01:55 pm

go for it. save and then return. or not at all.

Anonymous said...

can`t say I am okay now because from time to time, they crossed my mind. The times we shared most of them were worth remembering though simple but unforgettable. Sometimes felt sorry for myself not having the chance to do the things we used to do and the thought of spending the rest of our lives together as friends or as lovers. I just wished that someday, somehow or another, our paths will cross and leaving the past behind, forgive and forget, we will start anew. A better relationship free from those mistakes that ruined us. A relationship that will stand still, firm.


Aubrey